BANANA CREAM PIE
- 1 The Maine Pie Co. frozen gluten free 9” pie crust
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, stir together the milk and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and egg. Stir together the remaining sugar and cornstarch: then stir them into the egg until smooth. When the milk comes to a boil, drizzle it into the bowl in a thin stream while mixing so that you do not cook the eggs. Return the mixture to the saucepan, and slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly so the eggs don’t curdle or scorch on the bottom of the saucepan.
- 3. When the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, remove from heat. Stir in the butter and vanilla, mixing until the butter is completely blended in. Pour into a heat-proof container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate and chill before using.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take 1 The Maine Pie Co. pie shell and let thaw slightly. (5 minutes) Prick the bottom of the pie shell a few times with a fork then bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. After the pastry cream is chilled and the pie shell has cooled, spread a layer of pastry cream on the bottom of the pie shell then top with sliced bananas. Repeat then add the last remaining pastry cream.
- 6. Top with fresh made whipped cream and more bananas if you choose and enjoy!!!