Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 The Maine Pie Co. 9” gluten-free pie shell
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh whipped cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take 1 The Maine Pie Co. pie shell and let thaw slightly. (5 minutes) Prick the bottom of the pie shell a few times with a fork then bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- 2. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy medium saucepan. Whisk gently until combined.
- 3. In a bowl whisk together milk and egg yolks.
- 4. Add the milk mixture to the saucepan in a slow and steady stream, whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- 5. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking frequently until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken, 6-8 minutes. Immediately turn down heat to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly. for 1 minute until thick.
- 6. Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate, butter and vanilla extract until combined.
- 7. Pour filling into crust. Place saran directly on top of surface to prevent film and chill for 8 hours.
- 8. Before serving, spread with fresh whipped cream and shaved chocolate.