Gluten-Free Apple Pear Pie
This gluten-free pie is perfect for autumn! Thanks to Taleen of Just As Tasty for creating this fall recipe for The Maine Pie Co.
- 1 cup (148g) gluten-free flour blend
- ⅔ cup (133g) light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into cubes
- 3 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup (100g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, and butter in a small bowl. Use your hands or the back of a spoon to ensure the butter is fully incorporated and the mixture is crumbly. Store the topping in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. While the oven preheats, make the filling: In a large saucepan, combine the apple slices, pear slices, brown sugar, arrowroot, lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5-10 minutes. The filling should have thickened slightly and the fruit should be soft. Remove from heat and allow the filling to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the crust from the freezer. Spoon the filling into the crust, being careful not to transfer all of the liquid. Spoon about half of the liquid on top of the filling and discard the rest. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly on top.
- Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Without removing the pie from the oven, reduce the temperature to 375℉ and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes. Allow the pie to cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!